Program Coordinator, Poland – national position
Based in Warsaw with frequent travels to field locations in Poland
Position type: full time
Duration of contract: 1 year (with possibility for extension)
Deadline for applications: 8 Dec 2022 (The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified)
Lutheran World Federation World Service
LWF World Service is the humanitarian and development arm of the Lutheran World Federation (LWF). LWF World Service is a widely recognized, international, faith-based organization working in over 20 countries. We seek to bring people of all backgrounds together in the common quest for justice, peace, and reconciliation in an increasingly complex and fragmented world.
A commitment to the human rights of every individual, regardless of their status, guides our work, actions, and operations. We are particularly known for our timely, compassionate, and professional humanitarian work, and for our field presence in hard-to-reach areas. Our work is people-centred and community-based. Above all, we work with the most vulnerable, and in order to claim and uphold their rights, we engage proactively with local government and community structures.
Since February 2022 and in in collaboration with its member churches, LWF carries out humanitarian response projects in Poland and neighbouring countries (Ukraine, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania). In Poland, LWF is established under the name “Fundacja LWF w Polsce”. There, it provides quality service, livelihoods, protection and social cohesion to refugees from Ukraine. This will focus mainly on various aspects of protection and social cohesion, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support assistance, education, and shelter(winterization) and multi-purpose cash assistance.
Fundacja LWF w Polsce coordinates and works closely with the Government of Poland, local authorities, the LWF member church, ACT Alliance members, civil society organizations, UN agencies and other relevant actors.
For additional information, please see www.lutheranworld.org/WorldService.
Purpose of the position
The Program Coordinator (PC) (based in Warsaw, with frequent travel to field locations) shall be responsible for coordinating the Fundacja LWF w Polsce program implementation and reporting to the Country Team Leader to carry out his/her duties.
This is a senior position, member of the Country Management Team (CMT), which requires effective diplomacy, critical and analytical skills, facilitation and communication skills, and representational and reporting skills.
- Assist the Country Team Leader in the management of the program through close and consistent involvement in the decision-making processes at the highest level.
- Participate actively as a member of the Country Management Team.
- Overall responsibility for a variety of bilateral and consortium projects of the above-mentioned thematic sectors, M&E and learning, grants and business development, in close collaboration with the Country Team Leader.
- Support the Country Team Leader in developing and implementing a business development plan for the Fundacja LWF w Polsce Emergency Program.
- Liaise with main institutional donors in-country.
- Coordinate and lead the development and elaboration of program proposals for donors.
- Ensure submission of high-quality proposals and donor reports.
- Ensure that the implementation is guided by result management principles and have effective planning and implementation review processes in place.
- Line manages Field Team Leaders, the Protection Specialist and the Cash Program Coordinator ensuring performance objectives are aligned to program delivery.
- Manage budgets and resources in line with organizational procedures.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Ensure the Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (PMER) system is in line with organizational guidelines and program design.
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to program areas and provide feedback to the Country Management Team (CMT).
- Participate actively in relevant inter-agency sectoral coordination meetings and working groups.
Donor and Grants management
- Track program implementation progress, program context and provide regular updates to Country Team Leader.
- Coordinate with Field Team Leader, finance, and support departments to ensure timely grant utilization and compliance with donor requirements.
- Review the program budget monthly, advise on corrective action relating to underspends or overspending and ensure that accurate forecasting is completed.
- Advise the Country Team Leader and the Finance Manager of any variances and recommend solutions.
- Comply with authorization levels for expenditure.
- Work with directly reporting staff by coaching, training, and mentoring to ensure the development of their management skills.
- Monitor performance based on agreed job descriptions and ensure compliance with agreed objectives and all LWF policies and guidelines.
- As may be assigned by the direct supervisor.
- University degree in humanitarian or development work, and/or other a relevant technical field or social studies.
- Strong leadership, conceptual and analytical skills
- Demonstrated organizational and management skills
- Team-oriented and flexible
- Excellent communication skills
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Significant working experience at the management level in humanitarian assistance or development-oriented programs within an international environment and preferably with church-related or non-governmental organizations.
- Strong leadership, conceptual and analytical skills, and demonstrated organizational, management
- Knowledge and experience of cooperation with the United Nations, governmental agencies, and international development cooperation in the field of humanitarian assistance.
- Strong understanding of the project cycle and emergency intervention.
- Working in a fast changing and hostile environment.
- Experience in setting up humanitarian programs.
- Polish: Excellent Skills
- English: advanced verbal and written skills
- Ukrainian/Russian: would be an asset
LWF Core Skills
- Leadership – Level resource*
- Achieving results – Level resource
- Accountability – Level resource
- Analytical thinking – Level advanced
- Initiative – Level advanced
- Working effectively with others – Level advanced
LWF Functional Skills
- Project Management – Level resource
- People Management – Level resource
- Capacity building/ Training – Level resource
- Communication – Level advanced
- Stakeholder management – Level advanced
LWF 3 skills levels are: basis – advanced – resource
To assure the highest standards of program management and accountability of the Poland Country Program in line with LWF World Service and donor policies and international standards.
All applicants are required to uphold the core values of our organization.